Since Massachusetts does not offer a specific license for private pay home care agencies, the Alliance created a Home Care Agency Accreditation Program in July 2010 to establish operational and quality standards equivalent to licensure in most other states.
The program includes fifteen standards relating to: client rights, privacy, and complaint procedures; protections against abuse; fair employment practices; caregiver background screening; competency, training and supervision; insurance coverage; and compliance with all applicable federal, state & local laws.
To become Accredited, agencies must present documentation to the Alliance; these documents are then carefully reviewed by Alliance staff for proof of compliance. Accreditation is only awarded to agencies that meet or exceed all fifteen standards.
Accreditation is not the only indicator of an agency’s competence. It is a new standard, and some agencies are currently in the process of receiving it or have not yet applied. Additionally, all Medicare certified agencies have met strict standards established by the federal government.
Benefits of Accreditation:
The program allows Accredited agencies to demonstrate that they meet high standards of quality. It:
- Shows clients and families that your caregivers are direct employees and that you carry workers' compensation, liability insurance, and an employee dishonesty bond.
- Demonstrates that your caregivers receive background checks, screening, and proper training for their job.
- Proves your commitment to following ethical and legal guidelines in your business operations.
- Provides a competitive edge in the marketplace and can contribute to securing new business.
- Enhances staff recruitment and development by showing your commitment to fair labor standards.
Accredited agencies receive recognition in several ways:
- Use of the Alliance’s Accreditation Logo to show your commitment to quality on your website, brochures, and stationery.
- Listing on the Alliance’s website as an Accredited Agency.
- For Alliance member agencies, designation as an Accredited Agency in the Alliance’s print directories and in the Find an Agency function on the Alliance’s website, which enhances your visibility and credibility.