Finding the right home care provider is a difficult decision for anyone. What kind of care is available? How do I pay for it? Who can I trust? What is home care, anyway? To help consumers and families make the decisions that work best for them. Click here to download a printer-friendly PDF of the center.
How Do I Choose An Agency?
When selecting a home care provider, ask questions; any reputable agency will give you clear answers. Doctors and hospital social workers can also be good sources of information, but the choice is up to you.
When you call an agency, "interview" them with the following questions:
- Are you a member of the Home Care Alliance of Massachusetts?
- Are you Alliance Accredited or Medicare Certified?
- Do you have literature describing your services, fees, and billing process?
- Can you develop an individualized, written plan of care or service contract?
- Do you directly employ your workers (recommended) or are they considered independent contractors?
- Do you provide a written explanation of client & family rights?
- Can you educate me and my family about your services?
- Are caregivers and supervisors (including backup caregivers) available 24/7?
- How do you investigate complaints and/or resolve conflicts between staff and clients?
- Does the agency have professional & general liability insurance?
- Will the agency provide a list of references?
If an agency, doesn't answer these questions to your satisfaction, keep looking! If you need help, try our either our online Find An Agency search or one of the print directories from our Publications Store.